Monday 6 June 2016

My Time in Tokyo - Taylor


[Kamakura's Bamboo Forest]

The last month in Tokyo has been amazing. I have honestly walked more in Tokyo than I have my entire life. I am so grateful that I was able to have this opportunity, to be able to actually come to Japan and experience a once in a lifetime sort of trip. I don't regret a single day. 




[Kamakura with my conversation partners]

Dorm life is certainly interesting but my only complaint would be about how hard the bed was. Eddie the darling was my roommate as there weren't enough Japanese students for all of us. I found out that I would do pretty well at living on my own. I feel much more sure of my abilities and feel much more mature after this trip and that is a certainty. Even cleaning was sort of fun because we could all talk and gossip about whatever we wanted. 

My conversation partners were amazing and I am so glad I had a chance to get to know them, and to practise my Japanese. We had so much fun on the Kamakura tour! We went to a beautiful Bamboo forest and to see the Daibutsu. It was so much fun wandering around with them.





[calligraphy and aquarium]

By far my favourite activity on this trip was Shodo. Learning from a master was not an experience I am likely to ever forget. It was super fun, even though my wind was forever trapped in a box.

The Sumida aquarium at the Skytree was AMAZING!!! The Jellyfish hall was spectacular and honestly I could have spent hours sitting there jellyfish watching. 

My wallet hurt so much while on this trip, I went to Ikebukuro twice, Akihabara twice, Kamakura, Asakusa, Mejijingu, Yokohama, like we went all around Kanagawa, and I ended up going to both the Ikebukuro and Yokohama Pokemon Centers. So yeah I'm a cute broke university stereo type now. I even found a few kimono shops and a few crystal shops and all the manga shops I could ever go crazy about. Best shopping experience of my life.





[Pokemon Center and cute kimono shop]

I went to so many awesome places and have seen and done so many amazing things that there is simply too much to talk about and it's blocking me from writing anything even remotely meaningful. But I can say that I hope to return to Japan someday to experience more from the many different places here. 





[Sailor Moon exhibit in Roppongi Hills]

Moreover I can actually feel my Japanese improving. It's become so much easier to recall words and grammars and I wish I could stay longer but oh well this has been the best. 

The host family visit was to improve our Japanese skills and to see into the everyday life of Japanese people and what I found was that we don't do too many things differently. We both here in Japan and in Canada remove our shoes when entering the home and do many similar things. It was quite nice to sit back, relax and get to know someone. 



[me and my host mother]

LITERALLY EVERYTHING IN JAPAN IS SMALL AND/OR CUTE!!! WHY?!! (I blame Naoki)



[my excited but overwhelmed face as I went to buy Pokemons]

To be honest reverse culture shock is gonna be my home for the next week or two, I never got any culture shock being here in Japan which in itself is a mystery.

To be quite honest it's going to feel so weird going back to Calgary. Calgary is not nearly as nice as Japan. Goodbye Japan I'll be back eventually! 



[melon pan my new addiction]



[cute puppy in Shimo-Kitazawa]

p.s. Karaoke is literally the best!



[me and the cuties doing some karaoke]

No comments:

Post a Comment